Old St Alban’s Church

Old St Alban’s Church

In 1925 Captain Abbott, the secretary of the committee appointed by Worplesdon PCC to erect a ‘Mission Hall’, gave an account of a design.

This was for a timber framed building with a corrugated roof with brick and concrete foundations. The design by a Mr Dauber was built by Mssrs Tribe & Robinson in nine weeks at a cost of £643. Heating was added the following year for a further £76.  ‘The Wood Street Church Mission Hall’ was dedicated by the Arch-deacon of Surrey on Saturday 20th June 1925.

A house of residence was built north of the Mission Hall at a cost of £1,200 in 1927.

In February 1937 the ‘Mission Hall’ was re-dedicated as St Alban’s Church’ by the second Bishop of Guildford, The Rt. Rev. John Victor Macmillan, DD.

St Albans ‘old’ Church taken in 1962

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

To go back to St. Alban’s Church

‘click here’